Food Food Food

We aren't starving!!!!!!!!!!! The food in Greece, specifically here on the northern coast of Greece, is SPECTACULAR!!! The kids and myself are enjoying every taste, bite, treat!!! Whether fish, gyro, sweets, ice cream, Greek bread, desserts, we are enjoying every bite!!!

A typical eating day for us is very European in schedule. We eat breakfast, small snack at beach, late lunch around 2-3pm, snack/light bite around 7pm (no official dinner). I so much prefer this schedule of eating. I am realizing that the full sit down meal at dinner time in not only labor intensive but so filing and they kids just don't need that big meal, and neither do I. We have a light meal of a sandwich, fruit/veggies, yogurt, etc., but no full meal. And the kids aren't complaining of being hungry. They are satisfied with the small snack. Maybe I will try to keep this type of meal schedule back in the states!! We'll give it a try!!

The other great development is that true to my plan of completely cutting out all traditional American style snack foods - the kids fill their snack time with fruit (fresh and dried - have you ever tried a dried strawberry, seriously natures true gummy snack), cheese, meats/protein, homemade breads. My kids have not once asked me for a goldfish, power bar, pirate booty since we boarded the plane in Los Angeles. Of course if I had a cabinet with Goldfish they'd probably ask me for them. Out of sight, out of mind. I am thrilled. Everything they are putting in their mouths here is real food! I am so happy and they are not missing for anything!!! Way to go kids, way to go mom.....now we'll just have to keep it up as planned when we return!!! Phil.....empty those cabinets!!!

OK, what does food look like here.....well here are some pics! I also included a few pics of our beach side, waterfront restaurants we frequent to give you an idea that we eat in beautiful locales!! I will definitely miss the food here! I will do my best to keep up the frequency of fish when we return.....anyone know a great fresh fish source in San Diego?????

Enjoy Food in Greece

 
Fresh fruit and veggies are found at the Farmer's Market
Look at this beautiful and colorful assortment Theo and I purchased at
our 1st trip to the weekly Saturday Farmer's Market. I will definitely continue our farmer's market tradition with Theo and/or join a CSA when I get home!! Nothing like fresh produce!!!

 
Fresh Tomato, straight from the garden grown vine!!
Thea Jenny and Ana chopped up an amazing tomato salad, Greek olive oil, feta and Greek oregano!
 
 
Our favorite fish restaurant is called ISALOS
We eat there 2 times a week, sometimes more! The fish is always
fresh caught in the morning. We literally have become friends with the owners
and they expect us during the week. They NEVER even suggest fish/seafood that is
even a day old.....they take good care of us (we're probably their greatest customers)
 
Honorable Mention.....my father-in-law Nic, his mission in life is to enjoy his time with his family, myself luckily included! His 2nd mission in life is to make sure that all his family is well fed and he makes sure to always feed us the best food, freshest and to enjoy every moment!! Without you we would NEVER eat so well and experience so much!!! A big cheers to him and my mother-in-law Therese - without your two hearts, we would be starving!!!! The gift of Greece and the gift of your big hearts feeds our souls and I am grateful!!!

 
My sister Laura (at Isalos) enjoying her first whole fish!!! Yes, head, eyes, tail, bones, etc!
She's not a fish person AT ALL, so we fish eaters were very proud!!

 
Fresh Whole Squid (Niko's favorite!)
 
Fresh Fish.....and the rounds are swordfish - cooked on charcoal and you squeeze the lemon!

 
Marides (Smelt) or Gavros (Anchovies) - fried and yummy like french fries...you eat the whole thing! They are so tiny the bones are not an issue......Theo's favorite, he eats a whole plate! No need to give this kid fish oil supplements!

 
Fried Squid (Calamari)......nothing like this in the states.....first of all the pieces are BIG, secondly they are so tender and yummy (not like the chewy fried calamari of the states).....Ana's favorite!

 
Beets, Greek Salad and Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves)
All incredibly delicious......typically the first course of Greek meal are all the salads

 
Another favorite, on beach restaurant. One of our favorite beach clubs is called Batis. It has a beautiful cove like beach, full size swimming pool, and an on site great restaurant. I love the mini olive tree centerpiece. You can't beat the spectacular food and the beautiful location!!
 
 
 
 
At Batis Restaurant......you go to the fish cooler and pick out your fish.....they weigh it and
you pay for the fish based on weight. So if your hungry, then pick a big fish! The fish I ate
today was the 2nd biggest fish (the one in the middle next to the gigantic fish....and it
cost 20 Euros and I fed myself and almost 3 children!)
 
 

Another seaside restaurant......with views of the harbor, which since Kavala is a
harbor/port city.....there is action, anything from small ferry boats to HUGE cruise ships.
This ferry boat is on the larger side that will travel longer distances.
 
 
 
We do escape the seaside locales by visiting Potamos......which is a riverfront gem where you eat caught straight from the river Trout! And it is amazing!!!! We each order one, it comes full size and we quickly debone for the kids and they devour the entire fish!!!
(You can see a bit of the river behind my father-in-law's head)

 
River Trout - grilled
 
 
Geese stand guard of the river!! They also love to be fed bread from the hands of my children!

 
Another beachfront restaurant. We have 2 favorites in the town of Iraklitsa
Symposium - specialty fresh fish and super yummy Risotto
De Facto - PIZZA with mozzarella cheese cooked in a huge old-fashioned
brick oven (finding mozzarella cheese on pizza is rare! Sometimes I think they
might carry the Mozzarella just for us!!!)

 
Happy tummies at Symposium

 
Homemade Greek Food
We have some great friends: Koula & Dimitri....and they have invited us twice
for the most delicious homemade Greek food. I told her that I would love to spend
1 month with her and learn to cook everything she knows!!! Absolutely perfectly cooked,
perfectly presented and with so much love!!! I truly admire her!
(in my next blog post I will share with you their amazing garden)
 
 
Keftedes (Greek meatballs, potatoes, freshly picked and grilled peppers and eggplant, Greek salad)

 
Pastitio - Greek style lasagna with bechemel sauce

 
And so perfectly cut.....I have made this a few times and mine is good but a runny mess!!
How does she do it!!
 
 
Phil has sweet childhood memories of eating Pasteli, which is a Greek sweet of sesame seeds and honey. The honey here in Greece is wonderful, fresh and full of flavor. Depending on the region you buy your honey, it comes with unique tastes, flowers, etc. I usually travel home from Greece with at least 1-2 HUGE jars!!! (no Little Bear honey for this family, ever!)
 
So anyways....I attempted with my sister to make Pasteli and it turned out pretty well.
I made a whole batch and individually wrapped them in wax paper for easy eating, because
they are a little sticky/gooey! I am excited to give a whole bag to my hubby Phil!
Not to mention, it is a super healthy snack!
You can also add dried fruits or other nuts into the mixture to spice it up a bit!!!
 
 
Here is a typical evening snack at home! Add a little wine and a Greek sweet at the end and it is the perfect little treat at the end of a busy day of beach going, leisurely eating, resting in the afternoon!!

 
We miss everyone!!! 23 days till we return, it will go by fast!!! Love to everyone!
Big Hugs, Val
 
PS.....next blog post....you don't want to miss.....the most beautiful home garden I have ever seen!!

Comments

  1. Perfect!!You are doing an amazing job with this blog!I enjoy it so much and am impressed with how beautifully you present everything you 're experiencing here in Greece! Well done and I thank you on behalf of all of us here for your kind words!-DORA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe of the Week: Kormos from Greece

Riva Beach Club & Bar

Here is Niko!!