Mama's Helper

When I got pregnant with the twins and found out one of the babies was going to be a girl, I, of course, imagined all the fun and wonderful mother-daughter activities we would do together in our lives. We so far in her short 5 years enjoy high tea, the ballet, music, putting on makeup for special occasions, shopping for clothes (she is quite good), getting pedicures, cuddling, and I can now add to my list cooking. This morning with all 3 kids home (twins Ana and Theo out of school for summer and my older Niko home with a cold) I decided to take advantage of them all playing well together and cook some items for the coming weekend. I decided to ask the group if anyone wanted to help me and my daughter Ana raised her cute little 5 year old hand!! I never imagined how incredibly fun this experience would be.

She cooked, she organized one of my pantry pullout drawers, she washed dishes, she listened to instructions and she smiled the entire time!!! I got tired out before she did. Cooking for me is one of my favorite things to do but at times can be such a solitary activity. When we were finished I couldn't help but thank Ana so much for spending time with me, her Mama, and sharing with me a joy of mine that I hope we will share as an activity we can do together always. Today was such a great and special day! Here is what we made this Thursday morning.

Homemade Pizza dough and pizzas for lunch (brother's said "good job Ana")
 

 The recipe came from chef Jamie Oliver and I of course found it on Pinterest................super easy even a 5 year old could manage the whole process!!!

We then made No Bake Energy Balls. I am beginning the process of eliminating all packaged and processed SNACK foods from my children's diet. They barely eat these items as it is, however I do have gold fish and kid cliff bars in the house because they are so convenient. When we go to Greece there is NONE of that type of food so they will be cut off..............and we will further replace their all real, all natural, all homemade snacks with things like these energy balls. So incredibly yummy, Ana and I ate half the bowl before making the balls, as you can see the white plate has space for about 10 more balls. I used all organic ingredients, very economical and frankly these taste way way better than the cliff bars!!!!! And they were fun to make and again super easy that Ana made it all by herself (I helped with honey because honey all over my kitchen is too much for this type A personality!)

 
 We also made homemade Split Pea soup, Tempeh/Black Bean/Green Salsa mix (gluten/dairy/sugar free, and the tastiest filling for corn tortillas), roasted yellow beets and roasted sweet potatoes, and homemade nut granola (gluten/dairy free with natural sweeteners)

Then she said.....Mama, I'll wash the dishes!!! She washed every single bowl, measuring cup, bowl, utensil, etc. And she kept the water and bubbles inside the sink. When did she grow up so much!!!! What a joy this child is....a gift from God to me!!!

 
Her reward from Mama.....a huge hug and big kiss, a small bowl of chocolate chips (leftover from energy balls), and 5 "X's" on her "I am a participant at home" chart!!!!! What a morning!!! I am feeling very blessed today.
 
 
Sneak peak............my new front door is being stained as we speak!!! I am so excited!! Final pictures to come over the weekend!
 
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe of the Week: Kormos from Greece

Riva Beach Club & Bar

Here is Niko!!